Friday, June 5, 2009

Foodie Friday- Date Squares

Since the kids have been in school I've really come to enjoy Fridays. It means no more getting in the car almost as soon as we wake up to drive to school. Friday's have become movie night after baths. It's a great way to unwind after a busy week for all of us. Tonight it's date squares and milk for the kids- decaf for me and Diamond Castle Barbie(not my pick). There's always a lingering hope that when I wake up on Saturday the clock will read some time after 7 am. I'm still hoping...
I usually make some kind of treat on Fridays. So, you know I won't stick with this- but let' s see how long I can do a Foodie Friday. Here's the first one.
Date Squares
Delicious date bars, made with an oat crust and a yummy date filling.

Ingredients
3/4 cup butter or margarine
1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon soda
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats, uncooked
date filling (below)
Directions
Cream butter (or margarine) and sugar together until light and fluffy. combine flour, salt and soda; add to creamed mixture. Stir in oats, blending well. Pat half of the mixture into a lightly buttered 13x9x2-inch baking pan; spread with date filling then top with remaining crust mixture. Pat lightly to smooth top crust. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes. Cut into bars while still warm; remove from pan. Makes 32 date squares or bars.
Date Filling
1 1/2 pounds dates, chopped 1/4 cup sugar 1 1/2 cups water Date filling for date squares. Combine dates, sugar, and water in a medium saucepan; cook over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, or until smooth and thick. Cool slightly before spreading on oat crust. Makes 3 cups of date filling for date squares.
I used a little less sugar in the filling because I got the sugared dates at Costco.
edited : sorry for how it's posting. that's what blogger wants to do apparently.

No comments: