Saturday, October 25, 2008

Thursday's Thing For my Baby: Diapering

So, here's the name of Thursday's daily post, unless you all can think of something better. It's not great but it'll do. For starters every one has a different list of things they feel is necessary to purchase for their baby checklist. Some people need it all from the colored bottles to the fancy play pen. Some can get by with just diapers, wipes and a small wardrobe selection. I think I'm somewhere in between. I have my list of must haves because of what's worked in the past. These are all personal choices, of course.



For the first Thursday Thing let's go to diapers. All babies need something to contain the wonderful little treats. With S we needed Pampers. She was kind of a sneak attack blow out baby where all of the sudden her back was covered in yellow breast milk poop. Pampers was the only one to contain it all. C was a Huggies baby. It just seemed to fit his body the best. Both equally expensive unless you worked the coupons. Which I did, and when the mail didn't deliver more when I needed I was in panic mode. You mean I have to pay full price for diapers?!

For baby #3. I am older and a little wiser, more aware of the bigger picture in life- you could say. And I want to keep less harmful stuff off mah baby. We'll save that for their first french fry, which they LOVE. So do I. Any way- reel me in. I decided we're *I* going part time cloth and use chlorine free disposables. (I still have to convince the other half) When I change a diaper- I wanna be in and out with little mess. *Some people in the house are sensitive to poopy diaper smell, so we have to do the change and toss routine most days. But when it's just me and baby we'll cloth it along together.

There are lots of Internet sites that carry diapers and cloth diapers. One Crafty Mama did a post about Bum Ware cloth diapers. Safe Mama has lots of great links about where to get your cloth goods. 1800 diapers have both disposal and cloth - which is where I'll go to buy the AIO and larger diaper covers and the Seventh Generation (chlorine free) and Tushies ( made in the US with a natural blend cotton) disposable diapers. I'm not going to get in to all the types of cloth, how to use them, and all the other goodies that goes with it- go to the blogs and websites I've listed above. Bear with me. I'm still figuring it all out myself. But what I can tell you is- before purchasing anything brand new (except for bottles and all the things needed to be sterile) go to your local consignment shop and thrift store. Instead of paying $7-20 per diaper cover, I got 7 small diaper covers for $20 that are in like new condition.

And wipes. We are using Seventh Generation wipes when we are out and about. At home we are using these cloth wipes (still need to purchase) and they will be going in my wipes warmer. This is totally not necessary to have. But I love it. It keeps babies from crying when something cold is getting at their bottom. Also, I need to omit a step of running to the bathroom first to fill a tub of warm water. I need to work quick people. I think I'm going to try and make washcloths, too. (my friends who know my sewing abilities are laughing at me)
I'm soon going to have three kids 5 and under in the house! Yikes. Oh, and how do you contain it? Diaper pail or trash can (Eww smell) or laundry basket. We have a diaper genie and didn't use it too much. I think we'll still put it out. And laundry basket will definitely be close by. If you are at all on the fence about cloth diapering like I was- read this really informative article. It helped me make a decision, at least in what I want to do.
*Check back in with me after baby is born. My sensitive to smells family member might put my whole cloth dream to kabash.

There is a lot that goes into this diapering thing. Sheesh. Here's the fun part- the diaper bag. Only if you are any thing like me. I'm a sucker for any chic and cute bag. Take a lookie at what I got for my baby shower. Total splurge- thank you Aunt Sonya!



The Fleurville "Lexie" diaper bag. Not only is it cute and big enough to carry what I need it's made in the Bay Area. It's made Eco friendly with no PVC and made from recycled plastic bottles. There is a whole page on their web site that explains it all- here. I really like it. I've been caught looking at my self with it on my shoulder in the mirror. SO?! I'm not very girly- but I likes my bags.


Stay tuned for more baby prep...

No comments: